First Entry

1 comment

First Entry


As I navigated my boat of a rental car around another bend on the endlessly winding mountain road, the first ever Giant Sequoia Tree came into my view. Well, it wasn't the first ever Giant Sequoia Tree, but it was the first one I'd ever seen. I slammed on the brakes, a knot already building in my throat, and dangerously cranked the wheel to the right, veering onto the shoulder (probably meant for other lunatics careening around that same corner, who had never seen a Redwood the size of a 20-story building).

After fumbling for my phone or my digital camera (whichever one I could grab first), I tore across the tiny road, barely looking both ways before crossing. I scrambled up a hill, ran to the mammoth tree, and looked up, my eyes immediately filling with tears. That Giant Sequoia towered over me, humbling me. I stood there for an eternity, if it was 60 seconds.


No words can do justice to that moment that my mind will never forget. And no picture will replace actually being there, breathing in the mountain air, pressing my hand against the rough bark, the stresses of my normal life melting away with each passing second.

Those literal take-my-breath-away moments have found their way into many of my adventures, from seeing the futuristic Shanghai, China skyline at night, amongst crowds of tourists speaking a dozen different languages, to reaching the top of Pendle Hill in the Northern English countryside, almost blown over by the wind and the rain.


Each person should have the opportunities that I've had, to travel to different countries, to explore new cities, to camp, to hike, to be out in nature. These aren't impossible dreams. They are attainable dreams, for those who organize their thoughts and put their plans into action.

If you have time and an interest, I would like to share some advice with you about camping and traveling. This blog will be based on my own experiences, as well as research I've done throughout the time I've been adventuring.

If you need me, I'm just Two Tents Down


You can also find me on Instagram and Twitter.

Feel free to email me: twotentsdown@yahoo.com

1 comment:

  1. Lauren! This is fantastic!! Wild is one of my favorite books! Have you read Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods? I think you'd enjoy it. I'm going to check my extra hard drive for more helpful stuff for you. Great job, though! <3

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.